Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mark Twain Lake, gunkholed in Happy Cove



The weather was great this weekend. Mid to upper 70's and sunny. Damon had ACT testing so I took care of farm chores and took a heifer to auction which should pay for the next round of improvements to Galactica. Friends of the Family came out and their kids fed some of the animals.

While waiting for Angie to be ready, I set up the mast...twice and put the genoa sail onto the furler. Afterwards, I put the new jib sock on! This should make it much faster during rigging time! As it was, we didn't pull away from home until after 4pm with a 100 mile trip to Mark Twain Lake.

We put in at Ramp 107 again. Figure that it's best to have a successful outing from the ramp I failed at the week before. Here is a picture of me taking Galactica across Florida Pool at Mark Twain lake during twilight.

We anchored in a small inlet in Happy Cove. While I shut down the outside, Angie set up house inside and made dinner! Chicken Fajitas, iced tea and a nice dry white Missouri wine from StoneHill Winery.

The next morning, we took our time getting up and taking stock of our setup. We drew up lists of what we need, don't need or wish we had. Here is a view out the starboard windows at Breakfast!

Angie piloted Galactica out of Happy Cove while I removed the Genny sock and rigged the sheets.


We sailed around for a while in extremely light winds. I hadn't put on the main sail yet so we sailed with just the Genoa.

I got a chuckle. I had Angie pull the furler sheet to release the Genoa foresail so that I could pull the Genny sheet to deploy the sail on a port tack.

She looked at the array of sheets and lines around her and said 'Huh!?' I pointed to the furler sheet which was cleated and she told me that I should have just said, "pull the Christmas line"... sigh, it's a white line with green and red stripes. So now, the official name for the furler sheet on Galactica is the "Christmas Line". lol

We needed to get home fairly soon and the winds were very light and fitful so I decided to switch to the motor. I wanted to cruise over to BlackJack Marina. We furled the Genoa and spun up the Etec. We cruised to BlackJack at various speeds as we broke in the motor.

There was a Beniteau attempting to sail in the light winds but they gave up as we were rocketing past. Another sailboat from the MTLSA (Mark Twain Lake Sailing Association) left the marina as we pulled up. We spun around and followed them until we hit the main channel. Then we opened Galactica back up again. We had to get to the ramp ASAP in order to get home for Sunday Family Dinner. All in all, we probably motored 3 1/2 to 4 hours! :)

Here is our camp stove we used. Worked great. I do not think that I'll waste money on a built in stove now. It was really neat on this trip. Heading up the highway from our place, a farm truck passed us and the driver gave us two thumbs up. Either he liked the Macgregor or just the huge pretty blue and white beast behind our old silverado. Later, while driving up highway 63, a car passed us with two younger men who honked, waved and gave us a thumbs up! That was cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
MacGregor/Venture Sailboats Community
Powered By Ringsurf