Sunday, September 19, 2010

Exploring Truman Lake with Grandma and Grandpa


18 September, 2010
Truman Lake: Warsaw, MO



Angie had to work, Damon had homework so I took my Mom and Dad to Truman. It was a couple days before my Dad's birthday and my Mom's first time on a sailboat. We arrived at the ramp in the northeast corner of the lake around 10:30am. We rigged Galactica.
I was wondering what the day would present. One weather website said "0 - 1 mph winds from the South with chance of Thunderstorms late in the day." Two other sites stated, "winds would be 5 to 6 gusting to 8 with a chance of Thunderstorms later"

It was hot and calm so we motored to a large island where I splashed Galactica's Danforth in a shallow cove and made a tasty ham & swiss lunch for the three of us! Afterwards, I finished rigging the headsail's sheets and furling line, stripped the canvas boots off and debated swimming or sailing. I really wanted to get some sail time in so I chose the latter. Winds were light and sporatic.



We beat to windward for 20 or 30 minutes and finally when becalmed, I dropped the sails and spun up the Etec for a highspeed trip to the Highway 7 bridge which was 5 miles away. I wanted to check to see if we'd fit under. Nope...too tall. :)


We explored the bluffs along the main channel around the 4 mile marker. It was getting late so we started back. I kept stopping and checking for wind as the water began showing signs.
We raised both sails and enjoyed a leisurely run wing on wing until the lake turned east and we jibed back into the wind for a relaxing 5 mile tack back to the ramp! I thought I'd have to tack and beat our way to the NorthEast arm but was able to adjust sails enough to either beat close hulled or on a beam reach on the same starboard tack!!! Though a slow sail, 2-4 knots, I relished the chance to improve my seamanship!!!


It was a great trip! The light winds protected Grandma who is terrified of water.

Galactica is now a member of the MTLSA (Mark Twain Lake Sailing Association) fleet so she is flying the MTLSA pennant on the new halyard I hung from the spreader. I used a stainless block and a purple line since the Admiral's favorite color is purple.


Here is a youtube video I made with videos and pictures set to a song from Battlestar Galactica!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm3Ejal7Mo8 Enjoy!

After stopping at an Inn cafe in Lincoln for a tasty dinner and an awesome Sam Adams 'Oktoberfest', we headed homeward. About 25 miles north of the lake, we ran into a whopper of a thunderstorm! The lightning show was so vivid and branching that it looked like a fake animation. We missed the hail and returned Galactica to the ranch safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
MacGregor/Venture Sailboats Community
Powered By Ringsurf