Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Sailtice, 18 June

After picking up and riding my new horses back to our ranch, I headed off for the lake.



18 June was to be a really FUN weekend! Summer Sailstice is a worldwide event for sailors! Angie was teaching so I intended to solo sail in the annual Commodore's cup race followed by an afternoon raftup. We were then going to sail the fleet over to the Florida pool in a regatta topped off with a raftup in cathedral cove. A nearly full moon sail was scheduled for that night.



I got to the lake amid storm warnings and proceeded to rig Galactica. While preparing to raise the mast, gusts of wind were so strong that I had to grab ahold of the boat. I stopped to download fresh weather info when Edward and David stopped by to check out Galactica. Ed's another member of MTLSA and captain of a Hunter 216 which was parked near me.

He let me know that all planned activities were canceled except for a get together at the marina followed by an evening sail. Severe storms were to roll in that night.




We enjoyed conversation and copious amounts of commodore's punch (a mixture of peach, strawberry and coconut rum), beer and wine. Matt, a new owner of a 34' Catalina and I checked out each other's boats. We were graciously invited to share dinner with the Stihlwell family aboard DragonFly which is a beautiful Benneteau.



Afterwards, a large number of us boarded DragonFly for a summer sailtice evening sail. We made it to the dam and turned back as a furious lightning storm was quickly approaching. I headed home later that evening.

Galactica didn't swim but I had a great time regardless. The weather in the midwest has been wet, wild and Dynamic (lots of thunderstorms with damaging winds and lightning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
MacGregor/Venture Sailboats Community
Powered By Ringsurf