Sunday, August 7, 2011

Adding storage, preparing for cruise

Table storage project:

There is never enough storage; additionally, it can be said there is never enough convenient storage! We've kept silverware and many cooking items in plastic totes of various sizes. I decided to make it more convinient for cooking so I've added a shelf with drawers to the table.

Usually it's only the two of us 'overnighting' so we sacrificed a tiny bit of table space for much needed ease of storage. We've discussed what we'd want over many breakfasts on the water.

So I drew up plans based on those conversations. I built a shelf with 3 drawers out of red oak and poplar.



My dad and I cut it out. We added a biscuit to joints to add strength...



...I made sure to add some glass holders so that our drinks don't get spilled while under way... and we assembled it at his shop...



I brought it home for staining...



...and installed it into the boat. I still need to add clasps to lock the drawers so that they don't open when we're heeled to port.



Every drawer has a different type of nautical pull/knob. As I add more drawers, my thoughts are to make it easier to decribe what drawer to get something out... "it's in the starfish drawer...."

I'm not much of a finish-carpenter but I like this modification!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
MacGregor/Venture Sailboats Community
Powered By Ringsurf