Monday, April 16, 2012

Modifications and prep for first sail of the season!

Things have been extremely busy!  I am finally getting some time to prep the boat for this year!   Although we could have gone to the lakes as is, I wanted to improve the rigging for single-handed sailing.

First up is to re-rig the main Halyard.  Couple reasons.  I found that I often would sail with just the roller-furled genoa because it was easier and I didn't have to climb around the deck.   Additionally, last fall we came off the Atlantic with weather building and large waves.  Angie was a little sea-sick and had to take the helm while I lowered the main on a widly pitching boat.

New main halyard blocks mounted!
I've got a new, longer main halyard which had to be replaced anyway due to the last 5 or 6 feet getting trimmed off by the prop down at TableRock Lake on the Arkansas/Missouri border.   I also picked up a blue "down-haul" line to help pull the sail down.  The lines-lead-aft kit from Blue Water Yachts has a dual turning block, a dual cheek block and three spinlock clutches.  

My son and I mounted the new turning block near the mast base, behind the power coupler.  Once again, I fabricated an aluminum backing plate as I don't like using just a little washer inside the fiberglass.

inside view of new double turning block


We mounted the dual cheek block just forward of the factory cheek block for the daggar board.

inside view of new dual cheek blocks
I made an aluminum backing plate for the cheek blocks too.

I mounted the three spinlock clutches just forward of the starboard foresail winch.   I added three 5"polycleats in the cockpit near the same winch.   I rerouted the daggarboard line from its cleat to the innermost spinlock clutch and polycleat.  I want better line/sheet management in the cockpit.

New Spinlock clutches and line management poly cleats

I also wired up a new switch by the main door of the stables and installed a blue/white LED rope light down the center of the roof trusses.  

This is to give me a runway light to align Galactica's mast up on while backing in.  It worked beautifully!!!!  Normally I have to take a number of tries and adjustments to fit her into the barn.  I backed up in one straight shot with her centered in her bay--in one attempt!!! 

Tomorrow night, I hope to mount another polycleat, run new blocks and lines for the rudders and maybe begin installing marine speakers out in the cockpit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
MacGregor/Venture Sailboats Community
Powered By Ringsurf