Friday, April 20, 2012

Single line reefing, outhaul, cradle-jacks!!!

Boat, mast up.  Some of the cattle and horses nearby...
Today, I replaced the factory outhaul line and cleat with a custom outhaul.

factory out-haul

The new outhaul has a longer, thinner line.  I removed the factory out-haul cleat and line.

 Next, I installed a cheek block where the old cleat was.  Afterwards, I installed a new cleat.  

new out-haul

Next, I begain installing the single line reef system by installing a new strap eye on the forward starboard end of the boom.  This is where the reef line will be tied with a bowline.


new starboard forward strap eye for single line reef

On the opposite side from the strap eye, I installed a new cheek block. This is 2: down from the sail track.  The line goes up through reef ring on sail and down to this block.


new port forward cheek block, 2" from sail track
 

Mid way down on the port side, I installed a strap eye.  5'3" from either end and 2 inches down from sail track.  The reef line goes through this guide.
new strap eye for single line reef system.  this is middle of port side of boom


port side cheek block for single line reef

The aft port side cheek block is 9 inches from the end of the boom. (Dog not included)  The line goes through this block and up to the aft reef ring and back down again, on the starboard side.




I installed the boom back on.  Below, is a picture showing the new aft end check blocks and cleat for the single line reef system.  The line goes through this starboard block and terminates on the cleat.

new out-haul and new single line reef sysetm

I installed strap eyes and hooks for the cradel jacks.

This picture shows one of my time saving tricks.  I drilled a hole in the end of the factory bolt holding the boom onto the goose neck.  I replaced the nut with a ring-ding.
 


hook and strap eye for cradle jacks. 

Below, shows the new jacks! 

cradle jacks in place!
Thunderstorms blew in as I was lowering the mast.  I was able to get Galactica back into the barn just before the storm hit!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciated your video about the sail cradle and want to build something like it on my C22. Are the upper eyes also made by splicing nylon thimbles or are they something else? Are the 2nd level lines led through the eyes or spliced into them? It's hard to tell from the video. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
MacGregor/Venture Sailboats Community
Powered By Ringsurf